Sunday, July 29, 2007

Back to Yarney News

Enough with the kvetching about work. I'm really not all that worried about doing reference; seriously, the shift I'll be working, from 8:00AM-12:00PM is the least busy time at the desk. Still po'd about not being consulted about doing it, though.

Anyhoo, behold my Afghans for Afghans baby blanket:

Well, OK, really it's pieces of a blanket. There are 25 6" X 8" double crochet rectangles, done in varying shades of Paton's Classic Merino. I especially love the turquoise (they call it teal?) and the Harvest varigated (it's the same colorway as the sock on my header picture, so naturally I loves it.) I snapped this pic right before I wove in all the trailing ends, which was time consuming but not nearly as obnoxious as I thought it would be.

My next step is to put a single, or more likely half-double crochet border around each rectangle. This will give me a matching something to use to sew the pieces together. Then I can use that same color to put a border around the outer edge and it will all be tres fabu. I'm using purple, natch.

I'm waiting until the borders are on before I try to decide on the placement of the colors in each row. My original plan was to have 5x5x5x5-- 5 colors, 5 rectangles of each, 5 columns, 5 rows. Symmetry! Beauty! Unfortunately, each Paton's skein only produced 4 rectangles. D'oh! So I added a 6th color, which makes 24 rectangles; luckily, the sage green made 5, so I've got 25 after all. It'll be kind of a crazy quilt looking thing, and I can't wait to see how it looks.

No comments: